Like many of you, I grew up on grilled cheese sandwiches. Slices of Kraft cheese placed between two slices of Wonder bread and a sliced apple on the side. Sometimes the grilled cheese sandwich was kicked up a notch by adding crispy bacon inside.
Since those days of growing up in Canada, I haven’t given up my love for a simple grilled cheese sandwich. But, over the years I’ve found many new, delicious ways to transform a classic grilled cheese into much more than the simple sandwich of my childhood. A few summers ago, I decided to host a grilled cheese week for the guests that came by, with a different sandwich each day. This was one of those recipes that was enjoyed so much.
Balsamic Blueberry and Spinach Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- Baby swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- Unsalted butter
- In a small saucepan, combine the blueberries, vinegar and sugar. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. While stirring, press the blueberries with the back of a spoon to coarsely crush.
- Spread the sliced bread out, covering one side with the grated cheese (goat cheese is also delicious and can be simply spread on). Spoon the blueberry compote onto the cheese, then add some baby spinach leaves on top. Add more cheese and then the second slice.
- Cook in a skillet over medium heat with butter. Flip and cook the second side. I find it easier to butter the bread before placing in the skillet.
- Serve and enjoy this delicious twist on a classic grilled cheese.