Inevitably, after Thanksgiving, there are a lot of leftovers. Cranberries not turned into relish or hand pies, brie from the cheese plate served before the main feast, and of course, turkey and stuffing (which makes another great grilled cheese recipe!) and so much more.
This grilled cheese recipe was born out of a desire to do something different with the leftover cranberries. Go ahead and try your own variations.
Cranberry and Brie Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces Brie cheese, sliced 1/4″ thick
- 1/2 cup cranberry relish, or
- 1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. tapioca
- Orange zest, finely grated
- Unsalted butter
- If not using leftover cranberry relish, combine in a small saucepan, cranberries, sugar, tapioca, and dash of orange zest. Stir and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. While stirring, press the cranberries with the back of a spoon to coarsely crush.
- Spread the sliced bread out, covering one side with the brie. Spoon the cranberries over the cheese, then the second slice of bread.
- Cook in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat with butter. Flip and cook the second side. I find it easier to butter the bread before placing in the skillet.
- Serve and enjoy this delicious twist on a classic grilled cheese.