It’s that time of the year again. Although summer is not letting go just yet, and winter seems to be hiding this year, it’s still holiday season and time to start baking cookies and other treats. I grew up with my mom baking tons of cookies around Christmas, and sugar cookies were one of my favorites. I also happen to really enjoy green tea or matcha in a variety of ways. I’ve had wonderful matcha truffles from a sake bar near Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan, mini green tea Kit Kats I pick up at Sunrise Mart in Soho, green tea ice cream with red bean paste found throughout NYC, and matcha macaroons at Takahachi in Tribeca.
I was really happy to stumble across a cookie recipe which was a perfect mashup of the two items I really enjoy – sugar cookies and matcha. This recipe comes from Bon Appétit, and turned out to be much more popular than I would’ve thought. Originally, I baked these cookies for myself, but they ended up being a big hit with my guests. Can’t say the same though, for the matcha Kit Kats, which is good – more for me!
Matcha White Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Makes about 24 cookies
- 1/4 + 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp. matcha
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 3 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and 2 tablespoons matcha in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, brown sugar, honey and 1/4 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add egg, egg yolk and lemon zest and mix another 4 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low, add flour mixture until well mixed and no dry clumps. With a wooden spoon, add in white chocolate. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for at least 2 hours (can sit in fridge for up to 5 days).
- Just before baking cookies, whisk 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon matcha in a small bowl, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350° F, and remove dough from fridge. Roll out dough to about 1 centimeter thickness and cut out cookies with cookie cutter. Place on parchment paper or silpat, about 1″ apart. Bake cookies until edges are lightly golden and top no longer looks wet, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven, toss in matcha sugar mixture and let cool on a wire rack.