Very often when I run out of ideas for dinner, I turn to this Thai-style green curry chicken. It is easy to make and can pack quite a punch if you like to layer on the chilies. As with many Thai dishes, it is spicy, but also quite aromatic with the coconut milk, as well as sweet and savory. All in all, it is quite the delight for the taste buds.
You can make the green curry from scratch, but because it tends to be more of a last-minute out-of-ideas-meal, I just grab a can of green curry paste I have in the pantry, add some sliced chicken, whatever veggies I have in the fridge (crisp green beans are a requirement!) and coconut milk and I’m good to go. You can easily adapt the recipe to whatever you have on hand or prefer. The only key ingredients are the spicy curry paste, creamy coconut milk and savoury Asian fish sauce. Those three flavors form the base for most Thai recipes. I also like to use coconut oil for sautéing the ginger and chicken as it is nicely aromatic, but canola oil will work as well. Have fun playing with your own ingredients.
Thai Green Curry with Chicken
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, unrefined (can substitute canola oil)
- 2 Tbsp. Thai green curry paste, more to taste
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 breasts), cut into thin strips
- 14 ounces (1 can) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. Asian fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- ¼ lb. green beans
- 1 zucchini, julienned
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- Lime wedges, to garnish
- Thai basil leaves, to garnish
- Cut the chicken into thin strips and season with salt and pepper. Julienne the red bell pepper, zucchini and carrots, cube the tofu.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add coconut oil, and when shimmering, add ginger and green curry paste. Sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add thinly sliced chicken and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add coconut milk, chicken stock, fish sauce, lime juice and lime zest, bring to a quick boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low, add bell pepper and carrots and simmer for 5 minutes, then add green beans, zucchini, green onions and tofu. Simmer for another 5 minutes until sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired, a dash or two of fish sauce for savouriness or more green curry paste for heat.
- Serve over hot jasmine or basmati rice and garnish with Thai basil (if available) and lime wedges.